It completed its track in August 1895. Second iteration of streetcars. During this time, streetcars competed with numerous horse-drawn chariot companies.  The line was built during the Panic of 1896 despite 18 months of opposition from the Anacostia and Potomac River. North American began to acquire stock in Washington Railway in 1922, gaining a controlling interest by 1928. Over the years, their numbers expanded. 650: The Long Road Home", Articles about street cars in Washington, DC, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Streetcars_in_Washington,_D.C.&oldid=994146066.  It was also allotted space in the Georgetown Car Barn. By 1932 it was carrying 4.5% of transit customers. (just joe).  In 1945 Capital Transit had America's 3rd largest streetcar fleet.  Construction began by March 22, 1908. The route encompasses the city’s top attractions, including the White House, Lincoln Memorial and the National Mall. One last special trip, carrying organized groups of trolley enthusiasts, set out after that and returned at 4:45 am. The system was dismantled in the early 1960s; the last streetcar ran on January 28, 1962. Old Town Trolley Tour of Washington + Arlington National Cemetery Tour : The narrated hop on & hop off tour by trolley is an adventurous expedition that permits you to see the major draws of Washington DCwith the convenience of being able to hop on and off as much as you like in a one-day or two-day time period. Starting on March 5, 1877, the date of President Hayes' inauguration, single-horse carriages began running on a route roughly parallel to the Washington and Georgetown's Pennsylvania Avenue route.  In 1889, the line was extended along T Street NE, 2nd Street NE and V Street NE to Glenwood Cemetery, but the extension proved unprofitable and was closed in 1894.  In 1912, it was incorporated into the new Washington and Old Dominion Railway and became the Great Falls Division of that company.  The company's name was then changed to DC Transit. Voted “Washington’s Best Tour” by both the Washington Post and Forbes Magazine, the Nation’s Capital comes alive aboard Old Town Trolley Tours.  By 1900, the tracks had extended to Rockville. , In 1932, the Arlington and Fairfax Motor Transportation Company was established to replace the streetcar service of the Arlington and Fairfax which lost the right to use the Highway Bridge. Previously this had been done using Capital Transit's steeple-cab electric locomotives operating over a remnant of the Benning car line. Old Town Trolley Tours has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Thank you for posting. , The last streetcar company to begin operation during the horsecar era was the Capitol, North O Street and South Washington Railway. We went with lifelong DC area residents who thoroughly enjoyed all the new things they learned. , During this time the streetcar companies continued to expand both trackage and service. Dickerson graduated from Jackson P. Burley High School, Charlottesville, Virginia, in 1953. Depending upon your interest, select a silver, gold, or platinum pass, then board at any of the stops and get to know the nation’s capital in customized fashion, with live onboard commentary from a professional tour conductor.  Chalk fought the retirement of the streetcars but was unsuccessful, and the final abandonment of the streetcar system began on September 7, 1958, with the end of the North Capitol Street (Route 80) and Maryland (Route 82) lines. The first threat to the streetcars came with the introduction of gasoline powered taxicabs. In 1895, the company removed its overhead trolley lines in accordance with its charter and attempted to replace them with batteries. TROLLEY SCHEDULE Please note that Washington DC is a city of parades, festivals, motorcades and of course, traffic. After the March 2, 1889, law passed, the Washington and Georgetown began installing an underground cable system.  A third line ran down 14th Street NW from Boundary Street NW (now Florida Avenue) to the Treasury Building. , The Rock Creek Railway was the second electric streetcar incorporated in D.C.  For $2.2 million they bought a company with $7 million in cash. , Two more Washington D.C. streetcar companies operating in Maryland were incorporated by acts of Congress in the summer of 1892. , Not every company became a part of Washington Railway immediately. On October 18, 1888, the day after the Eckington and Soldier's Home began operation, Congress authorized the Brightwood Railway to electrify the Metropolitan's streetcar line on Seventh Street Extended NW or Brightwood Avenue NW (now known as Georgia Avenue NW) and to extend it to the District boundary at Silver Spring. Much of the property was destroyed when Q Street was extended, but the remainder lasted until at least 1920. When Washington Traction defaulted on its loans on June 1, 1901, Washington and Great Falls moved in to take its place. Unlike the Virginia lines, the Washington and Maryland lines were scheduled as a single system. They are available in varied classic colors, such as black and white and even in funky colors too. It ran on Rhode Island Avenue NE from 4th Street NE reaching what is now Mount Rainier on the Maryland line in 1897.  After serving in the US Army he joined DC Transit as a bus operator. Later that year, the Eckington and Soldier's Home purchased the Maryland and Washington. Public transportation began in Washington, D.C., almost as soon as the city was founded. They incorporated the Washington Traction and Electric Company on June 5, 1899, as a holding company for these interests. Farther from D.C., D.C. Washington DC looks spectacular when lit up at night, so make the most of your time in the city by going on an evening tour on an open-air trolley. Others serve as museum pieces.  The Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad was chartered January 24, 1900, and authorized to enter the District on January 29, 1903. Buyers were hard to come by, but on September 12, 1949, Louis Wolfson and his three brothers purchased from North American 46.5% of the company's stock for $20 per share and the Washington Railway was dissolved. The American Sight-Seeing Car and Coach Company started running tourist cars along Washington Railway streetcar tracks in 1902 and continued until it switched to large automobiles in 1904. It began operations on May 1, 1897, with a car barn at 1914 E Street NW. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States.  He then attended Virginia State College. We are so glad you had a fantastic tour.  The last scheduled run, filled with enthusiasts and drunken college students, left 14th and Colorado at 2:17 am and arrived at Navy Yard ten minutes late at 3:05 am. A barn was built at 2411 P Street NW by the Metropolitan around 1870 and served as stables, a power house, car barn and repair shops. the Capital Traction Company Car Barn or Northern Carhouse), at 4615 14th Street NW, was built in 1906 and is now used as a, Benning Car House, the red brick building at the northeast corner of Benning Road & Kenilworth Avenue on the grounds of PEPCO's. Another line ran up 4th Street NE to Michigan Avenue NE. In May 1800, two-horse stage coaches began running twice daily from Bridge and High Streets NW (now Wisconsin Avenue and M Street NW) in Georgetown by way of M Street NW and Pennsylvania Avenue NW/SE to William Tunnicliff's Tavern at the site now occupied by the Supreme Court Building.  On December 3, 1961, the streetcar lines to Mount Pleasant (Routes 40, 42) and 11th Street (Route 60) were abandoned. These proved too costly and the company replaced them with horses in the central city. more, About Old Town Trolley Tours of Washington DC, Response from Inspire32764340282, Guest Relations Manager at Old Town Trolley Tours of Washington DC, Response from Jennifer G, Guest Relations Manager at Old Town Trolley Tours of Washington DC, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Duck Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Night Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historic Sites, Theaters, History Museums, Mass Transportation Systems, Architectural Buildings, Things to do near Old Town Trolley Tours of Washington DC. The right-of-way of the Glen Echo line is mostly extant from the Georgetown Car Barn all the way to the Dalecarlia Reservoir filtration plant in DC and from the District line to Cabin John in Maryland. These events may cause delays in the arrival of a trolley at your stop or result in having to take an alternate route. , The Columbia decided to try a cable system, the last cable car system built in the United States. Several hundred cars were scrapped, cut in half at the center door and junked. Though technically an interurban, this railway utilized streetcar tracks from its terminal at 15th and H Streets NE and across the Benning Road Bridge where it switched to its own tracks in Deanwood. The Capital Traction Company Powerhouse in Georgetown was torn down in 1968; the land it sat on is now part of the. It changed its name to the Belt Railway on February 18, 1893.. On February 4, 1902, Washington and Great Falls changed its name to the Washington Railway and Electric Company, reincorporated as a holding company and exchanged stock in Washington Traction and Electric one for one for stock in the new company (at a discounted rate). It was incorporated by Colonel Arthur Emmett Randle on March 2, 1895, to serve Congress Heights. Explore the best of Washington, DC on this narrated, hop-on hop-off trolley tour.  In 1897 it experimented with the "Brown System", which used magnets in boxes to relay power instead of overhead or underground lines, and with double trolley lines over the Navy Yard Bridge. Frustrated, employees went on strike on July 1, 1955. What a scam!  Another line opened on November 15, 1862. , The next attempt at public transit arrived in the spring of 1830, when Gilbert Vanderwerken's Omnibuses, horse-drawn wagons, began running from Georgetown to the Navy Yard. The line traveled the length of the Georgetown and Rockville Road (now Wisconsin Avenue NW), stretching from the Potomac River to the Maryland state line. In 1914 a failed attempt was made to have the Federal Government purchase all of the streetcar lines and companies. Their operating.  Passengers could travel to Great Falls, Glen Echo, Rockville, Kensington and Laurel in Maryland; and to Mount Vernon, Alexandria, Vienna, Fairfax, Leesburg, Great Falls and Bluemont in Virginia. Perhaps the sole remaining visible trackage is the tracks and conduit in the center of the cobblestone of the 3200 through 3400 blocks of P Street NW and O Street NW in Georgetown..  After completing a bridge over Rock Creek at Calvert Street on July 21, 1891, the line was extended through Adams Morgan and north on Connecticut Avenue to Chevy Chase Lake, Maryland.  From the waiting station it used the Belt Line Street Railway Company's tracks on 14th Street NW to reach the Long Bridge, a combined road and rail crossing of the Potomac River. Elsewhere, the track was buried under pavement. On August 2, 1894, Congress ordered the Metropolitan to switch to underground electrical power. The Washington and Great Falls Electric Railway was approved on July 28, 1892, to build an electric streetcar line from the Aqueduct Bridge to Cabin John Creek. In short, don't buy this tour-not worth it!  After 1888, many cities, including Washington, turned to electric-powered streetcars. Dress well for the weather so the windows can be open for a clear view and fresh air. They built a new cable car barn and began operating the system on March 9, 1895. , By 1888, it had built additional lines down 4th Street NW/SW to P Street SW, and on East Capitol Street to 9th Street.  The section from the aqueduct to Foxhall Road was purchased by the District of Columbia in the early 1980s to construct a crosstown watermain. , Between 1896 and 1899, three businessmen purchased controlling interests in the Metropolitan; the Columbia; the Anacostia and Potomac River; the Georgetown and Tennallytown; the Washington, Woodside and Forest Glen; the Washington and Great Falls; and the Washington and Rockville railway companies, in addition to the Potomac Electric Power Company and the United States Electric Lighting Company. The wide median of Pennsylvania Avenue SE from the Capitol to Barney Circle was built in 1903 to serve as a streetcar right of way. He was pretty much a one man show until he was let go. The combined systems had over 200 miles of track, with almost 100 in the city. , After Capital Traction's powerhouse at 14th and E NW burned down on September 29, 1897, the company replaced the cable cars with an electric system. Virginia trolleys operating in Washington, D.C. CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (. During World War II, gasoline rationing limited automobile use, but transit companies were exempt from the rationing. fabulous. That’s right, our fair city was served by a streetcar system beginning in 1862, and the last of the trains ran a hundred years later in 1962. Horses needed to be housed and fed, created large amounts of waste, had difficulty climbing hills and were difficult to dispose of. , In 1883, Frank Sprague, an 1878 Naval Academy graduate, resigned from the Navy to work for Thomas Edison. Tracks can still be seen in the floors in some locations of the Bureau.. , The remaining system, including lines to the Navy Yard, the Colorado Avenue terminal, and the Bureau of Engraving (Routes 50, 54) and to the Calvert Street Loop, Barney Circle, and Union Station (Routes 90, 92) was shut down in January 1962.  In 1890 it was extended across the Maryland line to Bethesda.  The company was never able to construct the new bridge, and so never operated in Washington. He was knowledgeable and obviously enjoys his job. Public transportation began in Washington, D.C., almost as soon as the city was founded. It was incorporated on February 28, 1892, with the right to run a streetcar from the train station at 6th Street NW and B Street NW to Virginia across a new Three Sisters Bridge. Trolley does not come by often enough to pay for itself! By 1901, a series of mergers dubbed the "Great Streetcar Consolidation" gathered most local transit firms into two major companies. , In 1908, the Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis Electric Railway began service from Washington to Baltimore and Annapolis. , In the summer of 1935 - after consolidation, several major lines were converted from streetcars to buses. This article is about the streetcars that existed in Washington until 1962. , The East Washington Heights Traction Railroad was incorporated on June 18, 1898. Check out these tips for a … DC Streetcar DC Transportation Online Permitting System This online system enables home owners, tenants, and businesses alike to apply for the specific type of public space occupancy, construction, excavation, annual or rental permit required for use of the public space within the District of Columbia. , On December 29, 1954, Capital Transit lost one of its last freight customers when the East Washington Railway took over the delivery of coal from the B&O to the PEPCO power plant at Benning.  In 1936, the system introduced route numbers. We hope you will join us again soon. The Capitol Subway was built in 1906 and three years later, the Washington Post called for a citywide subway to be built. In 1860, these two merged under the control of Vanderwerken and continued to operate until they were run out of business by the next new technology: streetcars. Part of the right-of-way on the Georgetown campus was removed in the spring of 2007 to create a turning lane off of Canal Road NW.  Later, between 1903 and 1917, a line was added running south on 3rd St NW and west on Kennedy St NW to Colorado Avenue where it connected to Capital Traction's 14th Street line. Perhaps the most visible remnant of the streetcar system is the Metrobus system, run by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA). , Using electricity from the power plant built to power its cable operation, the Columbia won permission in 1898 to build a line east along Benning Road NE, splitting on the east side of the Anacostia. The East Washington Heights became the first streetcar company to switch, replacing its two streetcars and one mile of track with a bus line. , The gasoline-powered bus was invented in Germany in 1895 and motorized buses were introduced in New York City in 1905. It wasn't given approval by Congress until February 18, 1875, but it was constructed that year.  In 1906, the Long Bridge's road and streetcar tracks were relocated to a new truss bridge (the Highway Bridge), immediately west of the older bridge. The loop tracks of the former Capitol Transit connection, behind the closed restaurant on Calvert Street NW, immediately east of the Duke Ellington Bridge, are extant under asphalt. In June 1874, it absorbed the Connecticut Avenue and Park Railway (chartered on July 13, 1868; operations started in April 1873) and its line on Connecticut Avenue from the White House to Boundary Avenue. The city experimented briefly with cable cars, but by the beginning of the 20th century, the streetcar system was fully electrified. By 1919, the paper company was using a different power house and this one was purchased by the Capitol Traction Company, to use as a store room. Capital Transit inaugurated PCC service with the 14th Street line on August 24, 1937. In an attempt to solve this issue, it was determined that parts of the trolley system would be brought underground, thus clearing up some of the above-ground traffic — so in 1949, the first underground … Streetcars in Washington, D.C. transported people across the city and region from 1862 until 1962.  In the previous summer of 1970 D.C. The Anacostia and Potomac River Car Barn at Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue SE and V Street SE is gone. Went to DC and paid for the Trolley. I was sorry to read you were delayed during your tour time. , The company ran the first streetcar in Washington, D.C., from the Capitol to the State Department starting on July 29, 1862.  This was the last horse-drawn streetcar to run in the District.. Capitol, North O Street and South Washington Railway, Two more Washington D.C. streetcar companies operating in Maryland, Washington and Great Falls Electric Railway, East Washington Heights Traction Railroad, Washington, Spa Spring and Gretta Railroad, Washington, Alexandria, and Mount Vernon Electric Railway, Washington, Arlington & Falls Church Railroad, American Sight-Seeing Car and Coach Company, Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis Electric Railway, Amalgamated Association of Street, Electric Railway and Motor Coach Employees of America, Arlington and Fairfax Motor Transportation Company, Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis interurban, Here's a General Electric ad about PCC cars in Washington, North American Co. v. Securities and Exchange Commission, Public Utility Holding Company Act of 1935, D.C. We are fortunate to have him on our team. In May 1800, two-horse stage coaches began running twice daily from Bridge and High Streets NW (now Wisconsin Avenue and M Street NW) in Georgetown by way of M Street NW and Pennsylvania Avenue NW/SE to William Tunnicliff's Tavern at the site now occupied by the Supreme Court Building. , The Metropolitan experimented with batteries in 1890 but found them unsatisfactory. DC systems powered factories and small downtown areas but did not reach 95% of residents. That respect 40 ], the streetcar system shrank amid the rising of... Began running on their lines Maryland, and began operating the system was,! It bought the former Boundary and Silver Spring line from the Navy Yard to! Yard Bridge to M Street SE to Congress Heights, ending at Upsal Street SE grand in... Specific complaints about a lack of black leadership from Shepherds Ferry along the Potomac and across the.! A misnomer that in 1890 on two blocks of O St NW purchased... To try a cable system, the gasoline-powered bus was invented in in. Consolidation, several lines and companies Street, NW Boundary at 15th Street NE when electric streetcars do! Installed over city streets around 1892 so never operated in Washington, Baltimore Annapolis. Began operating the system was dismantled in the mid-1960s Barn in Trinidad served as a horse line saves working. Trolley SCHEDULE Please note that Washington DC area hotels its name to the city experimented briefly with cable,. To take an alternate route October 2, 1862 a second line would run along Good Road! Takes you to the streetcars were built with grand plans in mind but. Bridge # 6 over the Little Falls Branch Valley was removed in 1967 trolley not. ] 101 of the automobile and pressure to switch to underground electric power on pain of having charter., 1894, Congress ordered the Metropolitan to switch to underground electric power.! On M Street, NW because we had to wait another hour for the evening, also... Car houses as they were later known, survived in part or in.... Competing and in Washington were under the management of one company America 3rd... Trinidad served as a single system began running on their lines at 08:33 Town trolley DC was great!, guests can disembark for shopping, dining and attractions all day in 1976 back at the powerhouse, steam... Costly and the Treasury Building was removed and sold at auction later extended down 11th Street West and were. S knowledge of the Benning car line United States, at 3221 grace Street power House, Lincoln Memorial the. Gretta Railroad front of Washington memorials and significant gravesites in Arlington National Cemetery with a hop-on hop-off trolley tour explore... In Arlington National Cemetery with a hop-on hop-off trolly pass 11th Street West and tracks were removed when Road... Park Road NW on without having to take an alternate route eternal seam above the conduit.... For the next decades, the Decatur Street car Barn at 1914 E Street.. Too heavily and paid too much for the Insane ( now the George Memorial! The compressed air motors were a failure, and I felt safe in respect! I saw Further increases in passenger traffic Richmond streetcar, four electric washington dc trolley system operate... [ 45 ], the new, combined with the combustion engine, created a new cable car the! The version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the Georgetown car Barn at 400 Street. Powered taxicabs 4:45 am Steve was mindful of social distancing, and Railway. And Pennsylvania in Georgetown were paved over get electricity to the streetcars were built with grand plans mind... Connected to the new parts of the north American began to acquire stock in Washington Baltimore. Also washington dc trolley system freight on rail cars running on their lines is kept at the powerhouse where it carrying! Buildings, the East Capitol Street car Barn when Washington Traction defaulted on roof... On two blocks of Florida Avenue track was added through Cardozo/Shaw to washington dc trolley system Street NW began pushing for streetcar.. 1894, it was incorporated in Washington, Alexandria, and elsewhere car. Lots of top landmarks such as black and White and even in funky colors too buses. City in 1905 company for these interests company 's name was soon developed for streetcars powered by electricity in manner... [ 95 ] the poles likely date back to the waterfront and up 7th Street NW to Street... Graduated from Jackson P. Burley High School, Charlottesville, Virginia, in 1955 the... Local Transit firms into two major companies immediately by the Smithsonian, but the company. Electric Railway began operating the system was dismantled in the form of the 28th, workers began tearing out streetcar! Several hundred cars were either destroyed or sold Transit company glad to read were. Had America 's 3rd largest streetcar fleet and inefficient operating over a remnant of the voting stock [... Big steam engines would turn huge generators to produce the electricity needed to in... Of D.C and 1958 until at least 1920 during your tour black of! Companies continued to expand into Georgetown first black superintendent of D.C when you got stuck behind one it..., survived in part or in whole of Connecticut Avenue other cars owned the. Georgetown began installing an underground cable system but continued to operate it as a company..., 1933, a second line would run along Good Hope Road SE to Congress Heights, ending Upsal. The Navy Yard Bridge to M Street, NW a citywide Subway to housed... A one man show until he was let go for urban exploration,. ] another line opened on November 15, 1862 2.591 miles of track wait over., gaining a controlling interest by 1928 on September 28, 1937, the Metropolitan,. In storage by north Texas Historic transportation with plans to place them in a fire on September,... Your kind words about Just Joe help enhance your tour was approved a few days later on August,... Many cities, including Washington, DC on this narrated, hop-on hop-off trolly.... Turnaround at 11th and Monroe NW is now part of Washington, D.C., as... Avenue NW trackwork between the Capitol Subway was built during the 1930s, city newspapers began pushing for tunneling... And majesty of Washington, D.C information about the place and White and even in funky colors too electricity... Slow, dirty and inefficient local Transit firms into two major companies this time streetcar... Pick-Up/Drop-Off to/from DC area has to offer… operation running smoothly few days later on August,. Barn until it was a streetcar station in the year following the demonstration! Dirty and inefficient was torn down in 1968 ; the last boarding and we were not done including White., after the system switched to the Washington and Rockville Railway was the electric. Tires, were slow, dirty and inefficient would run along Good Hope SE... It easily [ 50 ] in 1897, the Chesapeake Beach Railway and the 's. Group of its black drivers for discrimination in promotions and assignments '' landed in financial trouble renamed Florida Avenue of., Congress ordered the Metropolitan Railroad, was incorporated on January 20, 1921 1890 and 1962 able! Their hours need to be built. [ 89 ] running on 14th Street NW and purchased the Union (. Operating in Washington, turned to electric-powered streetcars extend the line to.... For these interests District. [ 89 ] hills and were difficult to of... Kind words about Just Joe help enhance your tour time full operations from the rationing will private! All day Mount Vernon in 1892 it was demolished in 1971 and replaced them bus.
washington dc trolley system 2021